This recipe is not fancy or schmancy. It is just warm, fall, comforting, goodness in a bowl. It has a pumpkin bread topping over apple pie filling. I don’t typically use canned pie filling of any sort. This would probably be very good over some sort of home-made apple filling…but I’m generally making it when I don’t feel like doing much work (like Pajama Day!) or when I have kids helping me cook (students or Trin and her friends) so I’ve never played around with it. I don’t think I ever will, that would be ruining the whole point of it. Easy. Simple. Homey. Yummy.
Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Pumpkin-Apple Dessert
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling (the original called for one can but we felt it needed more!)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ¾ cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product (or 3 eggs)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Spray 3 ½ – 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spoon pie filling into cooker; spread evenly.
- Beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pie filling.
- Cover and cook on High heat setting for 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream if you like.
Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.